Accreditation approval for institutions
The Virginia Board of Accountancy (VBOA) requires all completed coursework and degree conferrals to come from an accredited institution approved by the VBOA.
If a candidate’s coursework or degree conferral is not from an accredited institution:
- The degree or coursework evaluated by any one of the education evaluation firms approved by the VBOA to determine equivalency with Virginia education requirements or
- The candidate or institution may request that representatives of their accrediting organization meet with a task force appointed by the VBOA to study and recommend to the VBOA how the organization will demonstrate that its accreditation process and standards are substantially equivalent to the accreditation process and standards of the six major regional accrediting organizations or their successors.
Facts and circumstances determine the size and composition of the task force. However, at least one of the members of the task force must have substantial experience with the accreditation process and standards of the six major regional accrediting organizations or their successors.
After the task force provides its recommendations to the VBOA, the VBOA determines the requirements to demonstrate that the accreditation process and standards of the accrediting organization are substantially equivalent to the accreditation process and standards of the six major regional accrediting organizations or their successors. The VBOA communicates its decision to the accrediting organization which then provides the required documentation to the VBOA that will enable the VBOA to decide whether a college or university accredited by the organization is an accredited institution as defined in § 54.1-4400, Code of Virginia.
- Written request for consideration to the VBOA;
- Background information on the accrediting organization, to include a list of current accredited institutions; and
- List of other state boards of accountancy that have approved the organization (if applicable).
Send all correspondence to:
Virginia Board of Accountancy
9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 402
Henrico, Virginia 23233